Virgin voters

The Isle of Man makes political history today by becoming the first place to allow 16 year-olds to vote. It was also the first place in the world to give women the vote. Truly a groundbreaking bunch.

When I was 16 I'd have given a puny, pubescent arm and a leg to vote. I had 10 GCSEs - of course *I* was clever enough.

Now, I'm not so sure. 16 year-olds have sex and get pissed, some even get hitched, but that doesn't mean they're mature.

At least the Isle of Man has opened a debate on the subject. What we need to do in the UK is have a proper discussion about the appropriate 'coming of age age' and normalise alocohol, sex, marriage and voting legislation.

Then, teenagers can have one fantastically boozy night and wake up with a hangover, a wife, a civil partner, a driving licence and a vote.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Blamerbell @ 8:37 am,

2 Comments:

At 2:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a bit elitist, isn't it? You were clever enough to vote, but no-one else is?

 
At 11:50 pm, Blogger Blamerbell said...

What I meant was *I*, like most 16 year olds, thought I was clever enough. As if GCSEs matter for anything!

Obviously didn't come across that way - that'll teach me for blogging before breakfast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home