Llanfairpwll-what?

One of the more bizarre letters to the South Wales Echo...

Little legs are my reminder
I have a way to remember how to speak the longest place name in Wales.

If you take the first letter of every word, it spells the station's name. Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysilio-gogogoch: Long, Long, Ago, Not Far Away.

I Remember People With Little Legs Getting Worried. You'll Never Get Your Little Legs Growing on Getting Envious. Remember Young Children Have Worries. You Really Never Doubt. Run On Believe. With Luck. Little Legs Like Ants. Never Take You Serious. It's Life Inner Obstacles. Go On, Get On, Get Over Challenging Hurdles.

JA Thompson Fairfield Avenue, Victoria Park

About as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest:)

Labels: , ,

posted by Blamerbell @ 4:11 pm,

5 Comments:

At 6:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even I know how to say that place off-by-heart, and I'm a big fat Englisher.

 
At 6:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My hen laid a haddock" - is there a streak of surrealism in Wales that should be tapped (or are all Echo letter writers tapped?)

 
At 3:07 pm, Blogger Deleted said...

"My hen laid a haddock"

I always thought it was "My hen laid van headlights", well that's what my mate John Redwood reckoned anyway ;-)

When I went to school (in England) nearly everyone knew how to say the full version of LlanfairPG off by heart, and they learnt it totally legless !

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Blamerbell said...

"When I went to school (in England) nearly everyone knew how to say the full version of LlanfairPG off by heart, and they learnt it totally legless!"

Maybe, but I bet they couldn't say Llanelli.

 
At 8:32 am, Blogger Deleted said...

Maybe, but I bet they couldn't say Llanelli.

No, and Betws y coed got mangled into "Betws ee co ed"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home