A Great British Summer

Apologies in advance that blogging will be somewhat intermittent this week. I have limited internet access while I try to get my life sorted.

In the meantime (the possibility of any work permitting) I'm hoping to indulge in a few of the summer activities I missed out on last year in Japan.

First it's off to Cambridge for a garden party. Chinos, Pimm's and chamber music: lovely.

Then, I'm hoping to go to Wimbledon to see some tennis. I'll bring my own strawberries this time after choking on the nine carat gold pips of the world's most expensive fruit on previous visits (read THIS for my previous take on overpriced fruit - yes, I write articles about everything).

If I'm still unemployed in July, I'll take in some Proms. These are quite wonderful occasions which are unfortunately marred by the sweaty, vapid flag-fest of the last night (read THIS to see exactly what I think about that).

What strikes me about these activities, though, is that they are all unquestionably British affairs. And while I'm all for cultural independence, I'm in favour of a good dose of cultural interdependence aswell.

Perhaps I'm just out of the loop, but what exactly would a Welsh summer entail? I know a fair few of this blog's readers will be roughing it in whichever town the Eisteddfod happens to collide with this August, but other than that we don't seem to make the most of the summer months here in Wales.

Or maybe we should just get over our inverse snobbery and gorge on a bit of croquet instead? It's much more fun than you'd think.

****************************************************

By the way, please do keep those little tidbits of gossip coming for my Wales on Sunday column. It's for one week only.


****************************************************

UPDATE: This blog is one of twelve to be nominated for the CNN blog awards - a contest to find the best student blog in Britain and France. Whooppee!

Labels: , , , , , ,

posted by Blamerbell @ 1:28 pm,

7 Comments:

At 1:33 pm, Blogger Ian James Johnson said...

The 'Welsh' Summer season started a few weeks back - the Full Ponty, Hay on Wye Festival, Eisteddfod yr Urdd.

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger Blamerbell said...

That's not summer. That's late Spring.

 
At 1:48 pm, Blogger The views of a Welsh man said...

I agree Ian Welsh summer ahs started all ready. The full ponty, Eisteddfod and the rest. Cabt wait for escape in the park in Swansea and the other festivales lol.

I wish i was unemployed for one reason only so i could be enjoying this weather.

Well I will watch some Cricket, and then bring on the Rugby World cup and the seven tournaments.

While we all will be sunnin it the political establishment will be still talking.

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Aled said...

Sesiwn Fawr Dolgellau, Gig Mawr Bont, Gwyl Pen Draw Byd, Gwyl Y Faenol, Gwyl Macs, Brecon Jazz... Do I need to go on?

 
At 3:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Croquet is a vindictive game that could even teach the Liberals a thing or two about being two-faced.

Let's campaign for a croquet lawn in front of the Senedd.

 
At 5:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure about the rest of Wales but thousands of saeson come to Swansea and Gower to enjoy everything it offers every summer.

 
At 7:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Chinos, Pimm's and chamber music: lovely."

You are so cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home