A Valentine's message to Rhodri Morgan from the Conservative Party

Tory MP David Jones has come out as a closet fan of the First Minister Rhodri Morgan.

While the official Conservative line is to brand him the 'Clown Prince of Wales', Mr Jones blogs rather more honestly about his views on the man known affectionately by his first name, Rhodri.

"I have to admit that I rather like Rhodri Morgan. I know he’s on the other side of the fence and all that, but he contributes immensely to the gaiety of national life," he writes.

Mr Jones couldn't resist, however, a quick swipe at the First Minister's infamous comments on the benefits of climate change. But he still concludes that, despite it all, Rhodri ain't so bad.

"Rhodri Morgan is a nice man. In his own way, he has meant well and, from time to time, he has succeeded in entertaining us."

So, what do the Tories really think of Rhodri Morgan: Clown Prince or nice guy? I suspect they'll be emphasising the former rather than the latter in the run up to May's elections. Unless, of course, they surprise us all with a uniquely positive campaign which proposes to flatter their opponents into defeat.

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Blamerbell @ 1:05 pm,

3 Comments:

At 2:00 pm, Blogger Normal Mouth said...

I like your blog a lot, but this is one of your least perceptive posts.

David Jones is not praising Rhodri, so much as (attempting to) damn him with faint praise. It's simply another way of saying "He's unfit to be Wales's leader".

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger Blamerbell said...

"I have to admit that I rather like Rhodri Morgan."

"Rhodri Morgan is a nice man. In his own way, he has meant well."

All sounds reasonably complimentary to me and a distinctly different tone from that adopted recently by Nick Bourne.

Sure, he says the guy's a failure... but a likeable failure who means well.

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Glyn Davies said...

I also think Rhodri is an ok bloke on a personal level - and a genuine rugby fan which takes him up a notch in my book. But I do think that some times he behaves in a way which brings ridicule on Wales. His recent comments on climate change are a good example. He managed to give the impression that we are not totally committed to mitigation because there may be some tangential benefit to Wales. I felt really ashamed of what he said - even if it had a certain logic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home